29 July 2014

Running 29-Jul-2014

Well a few weeks after a deadlift session without adequate warm up meaning it consisted of 2 sumo deadlifts with 130kg, a pause to chalk up then a catastrophic and painful failure I am back to running.
I took this one carefully as I have only hurt myself twice deadlifting, once last year and once a few weeks ago, both impacted the same spot so I have created a weakness that will take time and effort to strengthen safely.

This was nowhere near as bad as I expected. There was a vision in my mind of getting few hundred metres into the run and having to limp back, or being stupidly arrogant getting halfway and taking ages to get back to work. Neither happened. There was some discomfort and numb pain sensation that was serving as a good warning not to be too stupid. I got to the last point where there is a shortcut back to my office, turned around and ran back. The worst part was a small downhill section as expected due to the additional impact, but I slowed the pace down and even this didn't give proper pain, just warnings.
All in all this was far less traumatic than I deserve for training without proper preparation, something I am certainly old enough to know better than to do. There will be a distinct lack of heavy weight training in the upcoming year, which will take a serious amount of discipline on my part but this isn't quick fix fairy tale land, I want to be training for life so a year off my preferred training isn't much of a cost for such stupidity.

Anyway the run. Weather was hot and I looked as if I'd had a shower by the time I got back. In fairness having the heat may be a good thing while recovering, I am slower in the heat and this will stop me being too stupid for a month or so.

3.52 miles in 28:38 average speed 7.4mph

No comments:

Post a Comment