16 September 2013

Catch up, holiday and gotten older

Every area has at least one strange tradition which you can only understand when you are there. The welsh wear welly boots as somewhere to put the back legs of sheep and last week I think I fully understand the use of a kilt. The Scots have a proud heritage of stealing things from the Irish to adopt as their own traditions, bagpipes and kilts being most notable, and until recently I never understood the desire of men to wear skirts especially as traditionally rumoured without underwear. There is however a creature native to the area that makes the reason clear the infamous female midge fly which will bite anything not armed with suitable repellant. It won't have taken the canny Scots long to realise they could save money here, no need to purchase, pants, soap or fly repellant when they can swing free and let the ensuing odour keep the midges away.

In case no-one has guess I spent my birthday week in Scotland, nicely into the highlands in the middle of nowhere, loved it.
There was very little in the way of training, two runs that were very uninspiring oin terms of pace. Both to some extent due to enjoying the incredible views, especially when the first included having a golden eagle flying overhead. I thought it may have been one when I saw it perched but there were leaves obscuring the view, in flight however it was unmistakable and the call could be heard long after it was out of sight. The second one was a reminder that even the faintest call of nature before a run should be answered or you have to find somewhere descrete.
Run on 10-Sep-2013
5.06 miles in 41:58 pace 7.24mph
Run on 12-Sep-2013
3.64 miles in 29.49 pace 7.32mph

Whilst there I enjoyed the tradition of eating haggis, black pudding, a deep fried mars bar (so much nicer than it should be) and other stodgy food. So I deserve to weigh a ton and run like a slug today but I likely won't.

I spent my birthday itself in a beautiful spot with my wife and son and thorougly enjoyed the peace and scenery. I did virtually nothing just enjoyed being there, something we all need to do occasionally.

Now it's back to insanity and with new kit for my birthday comfort zone is to be left well behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment