27 September 2013

Signs of age

Ok a few posts have been very serious and I feel it's time for a bit more light hearted fun.
Here are a few signs that give my age away.

I didn't used to know that my Evil Knievel toy had more successful jumps in my play time than he had his entire career.
I owned a black and whit TV with dials, and a record player.
My first mobile music player was a WM-B15 tape player which cost not much less than an iPod shuffle and used two batteries heavier than the pod.
I didn't realise PacMan would be such an inspiration to so many who went on to listening to repetetive music in darkened rooms munching on pills.
I remember when doubling computer storage on a home PC meant switching from 60 minute tapes to 120.
I remember punk and heavy metal when it was relatively new, not being revisited.
I remember CDs being advertised as virtually indestructible on tommorows world.
I saw mullets and flourescent socks as cool as long as not in pairs.
When I wanted to research things I had to use libraries instead of Google, it sucked.
I remember when diesel engines were for vans and tractors. No-one wanted a car with one.
I was upset when they stopped making ford capris and even more so when I found out the were rubbish anyway.
I was upset when they abolished the 1/2p coin as it meant the end of 1/2p sweets and halved the value of my pocket money.
I got the cane at school and remember how we used to try to get it for playground celebrity.
I remember when the reason for using a condom changed from contraception to life preservation, and being given one before I knew the point.
I remember people being annoyed when the shops had shut in the evening. 24 hour shopping wasn't a mrketing ploy people wanted it.
I thought chopper bikes where cool, but liked my drop handlebars for speed. First racer weighed as much as a tank but I thought it was fast.
Shopping used to have nothing to do with barcodes and we paid with cash. Queues moved faster when that changed until they added psuedo friendly service.
Car electronics meant lights and starter not computers. Working on them was easier and it needed to be with how unreliable they were.
Car seatbelts were optional meaning more people could fit into each vehicle. Airbags were fat passengers.
Petrol was priced by the gallon rather than the litre and was cheap enough that peasure drives didn't require a remortgage.
We were due to run out of oil before I hit adulthood. I am enjoying a very long childhood.
Electric vehicles were milkfloats not sports cars.
Wearing second hand clothes meant you were poor not retro.
World war 3 would be over in 30 minutes and we were waiting for it to start.
Russians were bad war mongers and Americans were the good guys. Don't see the Russian troops at war now though.

No comments:

Post a Comment