11 February 2013

Moderation, the way you should train

Those wondering why this is in Just for a laugh not something serious, please refer to the posts labelled training journal.

I have taught fitness as a job and helped many before and since that time. One of the most common key things has been moderation to stay safe and gain in a controlled sensible manner. This of course made me one of the biggest hypocrites on the planet, but it beat getting sued or loosing clients to the hospital.

Moderation is important for so many reasons and if you need help with your insomnia I strongly recommend reading up on them. For the rest of us who know that throwing caution to the wind and having stretchers on standby will enable us to sleep incredibly well life is entertaining, if not for us for everyone laughing at us.

Nutrition is an example of where moderation is exceptionally important. Balance is the key and there are food pyramids around to show the proportions we should be having. I haven't seen one of these with deep fried mars bars or 2kg bars of chocolate on them, but I have eaten both and not died. How can this be so? Deep fried mars bar was surprisingly nice and the bar of chocolate never even effected my appetite, I burn energy at an absurd rate and always have so I get away with throwing more junk into my body than I really should. However this said I do eat an outstanding amount of good stuff too.

Life is full of situations where we are supposed to be moderate and sensible. If you are every time you are heading for a serious disappointment in years to come. Sometimes it is worth risking ridicule, failure, even occasional injury to be outlandish and crazy. Trust me when you look back at your life it's not the days where you were sensible and plain that will be memorable, it's the times when you went all out doing something different even if you failed hilariously.

I have taken part in many runs but the one I remember most vividly was with me dressed loosely as a pirate, carrying my son who decided to spur me on with his plastic sword, not because it was most recent, just most bizarre. That was a success, many were shocked at how well we did, my father was disappointed at my son being placed below me in finish order, my son enjoyed the attention and thought jabbing me was hilarious.

Other things I have done were less successful but just as memorable including demonstrating my balance and poise by swinging my leg out over the pads after a set of leg curls and falling on my rear. Or my attention to detail as I put the wheels on my push bike, rode around a bend to see the front wheel go a few yards in the original direction then fall while me and the rest of my bike started going around the corner and fell over, guess who always checks the wheels now?

I have enjoyed my life and continue to do so by accepting some moderation for necessity and plenty of excess and stupidity for fun. Most importantly when it goes wrong, it often does, I accept it was my own stupid fault and try to figure out how to do better next time, or if there shouldn't be one.

In case you were wondering I am not saying moderation in training is a bad thing, but that it has to be personal choice. The level of risk and stupidity in my training has been reached over many years of ignoring that little voice warning you not to do that. The little voice is what keeps you safe and alive, ignoring it has caused me injuries, a few close calls with the reaper and some of the most incredible highs. Do not imitate unless you are truly sure and willing to take those risks, I am not wise, just someone who survived and refuses to accept pain as the warning it should be.

2 comments:

  1. Is that photo of you and your son?

    I wrestle a lot with moderation. The good thing about moderation is that it tends to keep harm at bay. The downside is it also keeps excellence at bay.

    This coming Saturday, without moderation I plan to squat 110kg for 10+ (11-12 would either give me a dizzying high or make me feel instantly depressed, but would be, from where I'm currently standing, a major feat either way). However I might whimp out and be more moderate. I'll have to make the same deal with myself that I made last week: if I whimp out, that means more sets.

    I'm drinking Milo right now. I don't know if they have Milo outside of Australia, but it's a choc-malt drink targetted at children. No respectable adult drinks it; adults drink tea and coffee instead. I'm of the persuasion that (as a broad generalisation) kids are awesome and adults suck, this is just one piece of evidence I have to support this theory. The real proof comes when we bring up parties. Adults dress to impress, kids dress to be a mess. My favourite adults are the ones who embrace their inner child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is indeed me and my son, old photo though, he's around 4' 9" now.
      My periods of moderation have usually followed damage from not observing it. Sanity following stupidity. It has come to the point where I hurt every day when I get up without training so I might as well hurt for training that I did the day or so before as damage from years ago.
      I walk into the set or session arrogantly assuming that I can do everything and am often wrong. It's worth it for the occasions when I am right.
      Kids parties are proof of their superiority. Adult party without alcohol is considered dull and boring, kids party no alcohol is full on funtime. I cannot stand tea or coffee, taste awful. Chocolate malt looks good to me.
      I know kids used to find me entertaining at parties because I would be the one charging through grabbing a few and putting them under each arm roaring. I think my father came up with the classic when I gave him an old motorbike of mine and he was asked if that was a sign of his second childhood, 'No. That would mean my first one would have to be over.' Dad and I live very different lives but that is similar.

      Delete