16 February 2015

Running 16-Feb-2015

Not happy with today's run. I know there are a few reasons why it was slower than target and that in truth I was running at the limit of my lungs, which are virtually always my running weakness but still disappointed with myself today.

Today has been a reminder of what DOMS are rather than what many call DOMS. DOMS is by definition Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness, so it is when the muscles start to ache that makes the difference. If something aches the day after training and is still aching the day after or 2 or more days after this is not DOMS because the onset was on schedule. I woke yesterday and my core was fine, calves ached a bit, traps and lats a lot, but most of my core was totally pain free. Today I woke up and my core was in agony, especially around the lower part of the sides and back of my ribs, the onset was delayed, hence DOMS.
This isn't a boast, DOMS means having done something wrong, either trained beyond your intensity limits, failed to stretch out enough, eat properly, something that will have delayed the start of repair. This is the first time I have had this in some time, I normally get what many call DOMS which is prolonged aching, and call that being alive. I don't know what I got wrong, intensity felt OK and I thought I had stretched etc. properly, but I am wrong somewhere, or a bit of everywhere. Not the first time or last it will happen of course.

Rain earlier in the day followed by slight warming meant humidity, something I really struggle with so another reason I wasn't performing at my best.

To add the final insult. I changed my route to try getting to a full 10km and increased it a whopping 0.02 miles, so instead of being 120 metres short I am now 87 metres short. Adding bits that size to a route are a pain in the rear.

Anyway enough excuses. The run is as below.

6.16 miles in 47:37 speed 7.77mph, means I needed to be 13 seconds a mile faster to be on target.

No comments:

Post a Comment